Button Garden

Thursday 5 November 2009

Fiddlesticks and flapdoodle!

I’ve always been fascinated by words. I love the etymology of them. What was the first word? How did language develop? Why is it called a wardrobe? As a child I remember lying in bed at night unable to sleep imagining cavemen making sounds and choosing which one they liked the best to describe a rock!

I love using silly words too like collywobble, higgledy-piggledy and thingummybob. I totally blame Roald Dahl for this!

Today I went on a course all about phonics and spelling which sounds very boring and mundane but I found really fun – I’m such a geek! I love the idea that every word can be broken down into really small sounds and that by putting them together in different ways you get new words and new meaning. We played a game where you have a group of compound words which you need to rearrange in different combinations to make a new word and give a definition:


afterstorm – the feeling you get when someone has upset you
braindream – when you go to bed but can’t sleep because your brain keeps ticking over all your to do lists
eyeprint – what you see when you close your eyes after reading blogs all evening

Can you make a new favourite word? Try getting it into a sentence and see if anyone notices!

7 comments:

Julie Kirk said...

If loving phonics and etymology makes you a geek then ...hello, my name is Julie and I'm a geek!

I *love* your new words - I'll have to give that a go sometime.

:)

Kel said...

I love this - I make up words all the time and get teased for it, but sometimes a little creativity can really enhance your meaning.

Lee said...

I'm here to "taint" your blog with a comment :) Love it!! My word? I have no idea. Normally I would but I've been up since 4:30AM (love hockey) and I'm a bit delerious right now since my Chloe has poured me a glass of wine. Will mull and let you know, but wanted you to know your blog rocks :)

yellowsunnybear said...

Ha! Ha! Love this post! How about "flybrain" - how big your brain feels sometimes with all that it wants to learn and hold onto.

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

"butterthought" what happens to your mind when you are on a diet

Linda said...

I'm sorry, I have no made up words for the moment but just wanted to say hi and tell you I stopped by your blog.
I love the name of your blog and also the design, the colors, wow!

humel said...

Hey there, thanks for dropping by my blog - yours is _lovely_! (I so have to sort out my header...)

I make up new words all the time. But, naturally, my brain empties when I try to think of any. A lot of Melsh is just made up, you know... Oh yes, beadlinging was the new verb I created just today!

PS Malteser cake is dead easy to make, the recipe is on Melsh Recipes if you want it :-)

Post a Comment