Button Garden

Monday 29 November 2010

Manic Monday


I've been trying really hard to get myself organised for Christmas as I am determined to enjoy my December this year.  I set myself a difficult target of buying all my presents by the first of December and I have almost achieved it!  This pile of goodies was bought at the weekend and the rest will be delivered directly to my door - I love the internet!  I have to say that buying presents is the most stressful thing about Christmas for me.  I love giving presents but I hate the idea of someone not liking what I have got for them which is why in recent years I have done the boring thing and asked for wish lists - do you do this?  I know it takes the surprise out of it but so many times I have bought presents to not recieve a thank you or ever see the receipient using/wearing it.  I'd much rather spend my money on something I know that they will appreciate. 

I would love to hand make all my presents but from past experience I have realised that other people don't see things the way I do.  When I make something for another person there is so much love, heart and soul that goes into it that it is utterly heart wrenching when they don't appreciate it.  I once made a knitted blanket that took me nearly a fortnight of my holiday to make - solid hours of knitting, blocking and sewing together.  A whole fortnight of doing nothing else but thinking about the child it would be given to.  Making choices about the exact colours to use, which was the best wool, what pattern to use...  I have never seen it used.  Not once.  Ever.

This year I have decided that since I'm the one that *loves* Christmas so much then I'm going to be completely selfish and do things that make me happy and stress free (which I'm hoping will then have a knock on effect on everyone around me!)  I think that if I'm full of peace, joy and bouncing with utter sparkly excitement then the rest of the grumps around me are going to find themselves feeling a whole lot more festive and happy.  Its time to pass on the Christmas joy and it starts with me.  Bring it on!



So far I have made a wish list of all the goodies I would like for Christmas (including the above book) and ordered in enough wool to keep me going through the holidays, which should keep me smiling, out of trouble and warm through the winter :-)

I will also have time to make those hand made gifts that mean so much to me and make my Chrsitmas better, but without the pressure that they're the only presents I will be giving.

What are you doing to make this Christmas special for you?

2 comments:

Melissa said...

I think wish lists are a good idea. This year is the first time ever that I've handmade my gifts - a little nervous about how everyone will like them, but I really enjoyed making them. I agree that if you are happy, it will rub off on others! So glad you are ready for December!

Rachel Brett said...

I'm the same this year and I have only made a select few prezzies, it is really upsetting when you see that someone doesn't appreciate a gift.

Loving that book by the way! :)

Post a Comment