Button Garden

Tuesday 2 November 2010

Look on the bright side


Dear Donna,

It’s always important to focus on the positives. 

Never forget that you are there for the pupils in your class.  They are the reason you get up on a cold, wintry, dismal day like today at 6am.  They are the reason you wake up at 4am and cannot get back to sleep because you can’t switch off.  They are the reason you are walking in the door exhausted every night at 6.30pm.  They are the reason why you get up early on a Saturday morning while your husband is still asleep to finish off your planning for the following week.  They are the reason you spend hours on the internet finding resources that will enthuse them.  They are the reason you still read a chapter of the class book when you’re throat is red raw.  They are the reason that you can’t pass a museum shop without buying something to inspire them.  They are the reason you bulk buy shiny stickers and self-inking stamps. 

They are the reason you plaster a smile to your face and reply politely when parents tell you you’re not doing enough!

Focus on the positives: parents evening is only once a term :-) x
 

3 comments:

Rachel Brett said...

I love this!!!!!! I can so relate to that, I'm a college lecturer but I mainly teach 16-19 year olds and it all still applies! :)

Liberty :) said...

You sound like a brilliant teacher! I teach 18+ and when I see there is a development in the student over a couple of years, it makes it all a bit worthwhile!

Sian said...

I come from a family of teachers so I have a bit of an idea what you are talking about!

I haven't ventured over to the JYC forum yet, so I don't know if you've signed up there yet - if not I think you should go for it! If you don't complete it this year you can always have another go next year for free

Post a Comment