Button Garden

Thursday 3 December 2009

If I could have three wishes...


There is something so lovely and British about going to the pantomime. How did men in drag, corny one-liners and audience interaction become such a traditional way to entertain yourself at Christmas?

I don't remember going to the pantomime when I was little, in fact the first pantomime I really remember was the Footlights production of Sherlock Holmes at University (but that was far too grown up and satirical to be a real pantomime!). My first proper pantomime was when I first joined my present school about 5 years ago. I wasn't that keen on the idea - the whole school? Cheesy dance routines and bad jokes? Who wants to spend an afternoon sitting through that and doing dozens of toilet runs? I remember feeling pumped full of adrenalin and constantly counting the number of children I had with me....1, 2, 3, 4, 5....1, 2, 3, 4, 5.... as we walked from the coach, through the foyer and into the auditorium. Once we'd sat down I felt like I could breathe again - now there was no need to worry until the lights went up and we were on our way home again. It would have been easy to sit and fret about all the other things I could be doing with my time - the planning....marking....end of term assessments. As I sat thinking through my to do list I was physically shaken by the child next to me rocking in his chair, he was doubled over and giggling. Next to him was a wide-eyed girl absorbed in story. As I looked along the row I could see similar expressions....laughter....amazement....joy

Today's pantomime was Aladdin and on the way home we talked about what we would wish for if we had a magic lamp. If I had three wishes I know that one of them would be that every child had the opportunity to enjoy a pantomime at Christmas....why not spoil your inner child this year?

Or if that sounds completely horrendous to you there's always an adult pantomime like this one!

1 comments:

Mary said...

I love pantos but don't go anymore 'cos my 'kids' are too big but I can't wait to have grandchildren and then I can start going again! LOL

Post a Comment